Meet The Researchers – SSRP Students

This summer, the BMRC welcomed our first cohort of Summer Student Research Program participants.

Over the past 9 weeks, students were exposed to both hands-on laboratory research and in-classroom learning, guided by our expert mentors in the BMRC labs. Classroom topics included communication and networking skills, how to apply to medical/graduate school and how to give an effective “elevator pitch” about your research. The students designed and presented their research findings this past Friday in a capstone, poster presentation luncheon.

What better way to celebrate their achievements than to have them lead our monthly Meet The Researcher profile this month?

Name: Michael Bardos
Current year in school: Rising Junior
Major: Bioengineering with a minor in Chemistry

What is one skill you’ve learned this summer in the SSRP that was most valuable to you?

I believe the most important skill I have learned so far is how to approach an accept an incorrect hypothesis. While learning to culture cells or use a microscope are important, I never could have imagined how important coming back to the root of an issue could be.

How has your experience in the SSRP influenced your future academic or career plans?

SSRP has further cemented my enjoyment in the field of bioengineering. I know that I have what it takes to get my foothold in the field, and hope that one day I will be able to draft up my own experiments and make my own advancements.

What did you enjoy most about your time here at the BMRC/Pitt?

This lab has been great to me, making me feel like family. I have enjoyed the process from start to finish. But if I had to choose one thing it would be the feeling of seeing results, even if those results were not what you expected. Knowing you are taking part in the process is the most satisfying and enjoyable part of being at BMRC/Pitt.

Name: Joseph Garzia
Current year in school: Rising Sophomore
Major: Biological Sciences

One major difference between being a student in a classroom and doing research in a lab is the source of information. I am used to learning from a textbook or from a lecture in class, but being in the lab taught me how to gather information from primary literature. Being able to understand the full picture just from graphs and data analysis was difficult at first, but with lots of practice this summer including the SSRP journal clubs, I find reading through literature much easier and more insightful. Most importantly, I feel that I can make strong connections between what I read and the work I am doing in the lab. Being able to stay up to date on recent publications and learn from previous studies is invaluable for a researcher, and my experiences with the SSRP have allowed me to grow in this way.

Throughout the SSRP, I have had the opportunity to meet many researchers here at Pitt. Before attending the program, I was mostly interested in clinical work in medicine where I would be able to build relationships directly with patients. However, hearing from multiple researchers has shown me that their work can be equally as rewarding and impactful in the medical field. Specifically, hearing from several MD-PhD researchers opened my eyes to a career path that would allow me to continue working in the lab while simultaneously working with patients. Pursuing an MD-PhD degree would align with my interest in both research and clinical practice. The career path is especially interesting to me as I would be able to work towards answering important questions in the field while also being able to see the impact of my own research. I definitely see this dual role as very attractive for a future career.

During my experiences with research at Pitt, I have enjoyed being able to have the freedom to work on my own project and learn from those that share similar interests with me. By being able to devote my time to a project that I truly found interesting, coming into the lab never feels like work. I found that being in an environment with others with common goals made progress come naturally. I was always excited to hear about the projects of others, but also share my own results. Additionally, the seminars and journal clubs were highlights of my experience during the SSRP. Learning important skills like presenting research was a valuable experience, and being able to connect with and learn from faculty and peers definitely helped me grow as a researcher.

Name: Anneka Gernert
Current year in school: Rising Sophomore
Major: Biology, pre-med

One skill I’ve developed is how to read an academic paper and understand it. I can now take it a step further and present the paper in journal club or use it to help with an experiment in the lab. I know how to appropriately find supplementary material to aid my understanding, so that I don’t get bogged down by details I don’t understand.

My experience in SSRP has showed me that I really enjoy the hands-on learning aspect of research. After this experience, I know that wherever I end up, I want to be involved in research. The process of discovering new things and real-life problem solving is fascinating and challenging and definitely something I’d like to continue.  

I’ve enjoyed meeting fellow undergrad researchers who have become my friends and making connections with the other PIs in the lab. Getting to collaborate with people from such diverse backgrounds has made this a very positive work experience.

Name: Marissa Mansour
Current year in school: Rising Junior
Major: Neuroscience

One of the most valuable skills I’ve acquired this summer in the SSRP is the ability to effectively present my research. Communicating findings to the scientific community is a crucial aspect of research, and through this program I’ve had the opportunity to practice presenting among my peers with the aid of professional mentors. This has allowed me to foster foundational presentation skills I can take with me on my academic journey and refine as I grow into a more experienced researcher. I find this confidence to continue improving my skills invaluable and something I will benefit from throughout my future career.

My time in SSRP has encouraged me to pursue a more research-oriented path. Experiencing how rewarding the process of research can be has been very encouraging and made me excited about continuing my research journey. I’ve also been exposed to the interdisciplinary nature of musculoskeletal research, which I find fascinating and plan to continue pursuing.

My favorite part of this experience has been its collaborative nature. Getting to work with students who have similar interests has been a great way to experience the cooperative nature of research. Additionally, the more experienced lab members and BMRC professionals taught us a lot about effective research, and I’m confident their help will continue to improve my skills
after my time with the SSRP, which I am extremely thankful for.

Name: Lorin Planinsic
Major: Biochemistry and Nutrition

One skill that I learned this summer was how to culture and grow cells. These cultured cells can be used for drug testing and other experiments. This skill is extremely valuable because it is applicable across many areas of research.

My experience in the SSRP has influenced me to take classes on cancer biology in the future and continue my academic career on the pre-med track.

I enjoyed the mentorship I received during my time at the BMRC the most. Learning about research and receiving guidance from everyone in my lab made me feel like I belonged in my short time there.

Congratulations once again to Michael, Joseph, Anneka, Marissa, and Lorin!